Friday, 3 May 2013

Slater's Sussex (book)

A Happy Birthday present to me from me today!

You might remember that I loved the work of Eric Slater when it was included in the Point Of Departure exhibition at the Towner Gallery last year. His woodcut prints were created during the 1930s and, as he lived much of his life in Seaford, several depict local scenes. The evocative images included in Point Of Departure had been chosen by James Trollope, an expert on Slater's work, and I was delighted to recently discover that James has written a book on the subject. It has been published by the Towner with Eastbourne Borough Council and the Arts Council. Slater's Sussex went on sale at the Towner Gallery on the 27th of April. I treated myself to one of the first copies!

I particularly love the seventeen full page colour reproductions of Slater's prints. Seeing them all together gives a wonderful feel for his work and of the period in which he created them. My favourites from the Towner are there as well as other landscapes and floral still life images. James Trollope has penned a fascinating biography of Eric Slater and also describes the Japanese technique he used. Slater's Sussex is an interesting read and I know I will pick it up to see the prints again and again.

Slater's Sussex is available from the Towner Gallery gift shop.
Limited edition giclee prints and a selection of postcards are also available.
Don't forget to show your Towner membership card to get a discount!


No comments:

Post a Comment