Friday, 24 August 2012

Hunters Moon Morris workshop (dance)

 I saw Hunter's Moon Morris most recently dancing at the Eastbourne Lammas Festival in July. They perform the 'Border' style of Morris which is a dramatic form of the dance with black and silver tattered costumes, blackened faces, clattering sticks and much exhuberance. It is very different to the 'pretty' beribboned dances that I remember from school May Day fetes of the past.

The side are based in Eastbourne and were formed in 2001. Their first performance was at the Lammas Festival in the same year and the group now numbers around twenty-five dancers. They meet on Thursdays in Langney to rehearse and are always happy to meet potential new members. If you would like to get involved, there are contact details on their website.

There will also be opportunities to try out Border Morris in September when Hunter's Moon are putting on two open evening workshops. The dates for your diary are the 13th and the 20th of September, both Thursdays, and you can choose which to attend. I'm planning to get along to the one on the 20th. The venue is West Rise Junior School on Chaffinch Road and the workshops start at 19:30. Call 01323 520440 for more information, although booking is not essential, and we will need to wear comfortable clothing. Also, sparkly dancing shoes should be left at home and decent trainers are advised instead!

West Rise Junior School, Thu 13th & 20th Sep, 19:30.

1 comment:

  1. The Hunters Moon workshop was more demanding than I had expected but the friendly and supportive atmosphere meant it was also great fun. There were about a dozen nervous visitors at the workshop I attended. All the Moonies, especially the teacher, Pip, were kind and patient and we were taught two complete dances during the evening, both of which used the sticks. I was very proud that the only person I accidentally hit was myself (and I don’t think anyone else noticed!) Border Morris is more difficult than it looks requiring good rhythm, coordination and memory skills. For members of the side, there is also a big time commitment as their purpose is public performances throughout the year. Their strong camaraderie was obvious and, if I had the necessary time, I would definitely consider joining. As it is, I very much enjoyed my workshop experience and would strongly recommend it.

    ReplyDelete