Monday, 16 April 2012

Shame (film)

I frequently go to Hailsham Film Club which is a monthly event at Hailsham Pavilion showing a selected art house, foreign language or independent film. In the several years we've been going, we can only remember one film that we didn't enjoy at all, so are confident to trust the judgement of the Club committee!

April's film is Shame, "the story of Brandon (Michael Fassbender), a single thirty-something man in New York who is addicted to sex in any of its forms as long as it does not involve love or intimacy. His ordered lifestyle is thrown into a sort of chaos with the arrival of his needy sister, played by Carey Mulligan."

Tues 17th April, 7.45pm, £6.50/£5.00 conc. 
Box Office: 01323 841414

1 comment:

  1. I think that I think Shame was amazing. It is certainly a very powerful film and the cinematography deserves all the praise it has received. Particularly memorable sequences for me include Brandon running through New York at night and him walking along a harbour with dozens of old wooden posts visible in the background above the waterline.
    Carey Mulligan completely understood Sissy and I was very impressed by her in this character. Michael Fassbender's Brandon was intended to be a damaged and single-tracked character, and he portrayed this powerfully with a mesmerisisng onscreen presence.
    My only problem with Shame was that the storyline seemed a bit too blunt. Perhaps I missed some nuances but I couldn't help feeling on occasion that a French production might have produced a superior film.

    ReplyDelete